L’Amoreaux is located at the north end of Toronto which accounts for its distinctly suburban character. Here you will find winding tree-lined streets, pedestrian friendly sidewalks and well maintained family homes. The planned subdivision communities of Bridlewood, Wishing Well, and Bamburgh, which are part of the greater L’Amoreaux neighbourhood, each contain their own school, shopping and parks.
L’Amoreaux neighbourhood landmarks include the Tam O’Shanter Golf course off Kennedy Road, Bridlewood Mall at Warden Avenue, the Ontario Hydro Fields south of McNicol Avenue and L’Amoreaux Park and Scarborough Grace Hospital which are both situated on Birchmount Avenue.
L’Amoreaux’s first settler was Josue L’Amoreaux, a loyalist of French Huguenot descent who arrived here with his wife, seven children and two nephews, around 1816. The spiritual centres of this pioneer community were St. Paul’s Church L’Amoreaux and Christie’s Methodist Church, which were both established in the 1840’s. While these churches are no longer standing, their cemeteries have endured. St. Paul’s L’Amoreaux cemetery is tucked away at the south-west corner of Finch and Warden Avenues, while Christie’s Methodist Church cemetery is now part of a small park at the entranceway to the Bridlewood Mall.
In 1847, L’Amoreaux was given the designation as School Section #1, in the former Township of Scarborough. A few years later, in 1854, a post office was established here. L’Amoreaux’s transition from a farming hamlet to a modern day subdivision took place in the 1950’s, 60’s and 70’s. The “Devonsleigh” house built in 1850 is a visual reminder of L’Amoreaux’s past. This historic home is located at 4125 Steeles Avenue East where it is now a popular restaurant.
L’Amoreaux’s houses were built during the 1950’s, 1960’s and 1970’s. These houses are situated on lots that are typically forty to seventy feet in width and feature attached or built-in garages.
The house styles here include ranch bungalows, split-levels and two-storey homes. There are also pockets of townhouse communities and high-rise apartment buildings located along the peripheral streets of this neighbourhood.
The largest houses in L’Amoreaux are the two-storey, executive style houses located near the Tam O’Shanter Golf Course. These homes are situated on expansive well-treed lots. Some of these houses back onto the golf course.
L’Amoreaux’s largest shopping centre is the Bridlewood Mall, located at the north-west corner of Finch and Warden Avenues. This indoor shopping mall features over sixty stores and is anchored by two department stores.
L’Amoreaux also contains a large number of smaller shopping plazas found along its main arterial streets. Most of these shopping plazas feature bilingual English and Asian signage, reflecting the diverse population in this neighbourhood. Asian food markets and restaurants, as well as herb and health food stores are part of this shopping mix.
L’Amoreaux Park located between Birchmount and Kennedy Roads from Silver Springs Blvd to Burnt Park Drive, is one of Toronto’s largest and most diverse recreational parks. Highlights of this park include “Kidstown,” – an outdoor water playground for children, the L’Amoreaux Tennis Centre, which offers year-round tennis, and the L’Amoreaux Community Recreation Centre. This park also includes a paved walkway, a pond, a stream, a bridge and nature habitats.
The Tam O’Shanter Golf Course located off Birchmount Road just north of Sheppard, is a public course operated by the City of Toronto. This golf course is known for it’s variety of links holes and challenging water hazards. St. Paul’s L’Amoreaux Centre located at 3333 Finch Avenue East, is a multi-purpose facility for adults 55 and over. Some of the programs offered here include bowling, dancing, yoga, art class, mini tennis, men’s and ladies’ snooker and field trips.
The L’Amoreaux neighbourhood has two public libraries. These include the Bridlewood Branch, located inside the Bridlewood Mall, and the Steeles Branch located in the Bamburgh Gardens shopping plaza. Both these libraries offer a variety of community based programming.
The Sheppard, Finch and Steeles Avenue buses connect passengers to their respective stations on the Yonge-University-Spadina subway line. The Victoria Park, Warden Avenue and Kennedy Road buses provide connecting routes to the Bloor-Danforth subway line
Motorists are within five minutes of the Highway 401 on-ramps south of Sheppard Avenue. This commuter highway provides quick and easy access to the Don Valley Parkway, which ushers motorist to downtown Toronto’s business and entertainment districts in approximately twenty minutes.
Courtesy of torontoneighbourhoods.net